09 10

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What A Photographer Says....And What They Mean

I found these on a photography website and got a kick out of them. Sadly, some of them are quite true. :)

When photographers say…
What are you shooting?
They actually mean…
Hello there! This is me, trying to break the ice.

When photographers say…
I work primarily with natural light.
They actually mean…
My flash exposures are awful. Seriously, they’re awful.

When photographers say…
I only carry out minimal post-processing.
They actually mean…
Photoshop confuses the daylights out of me. I mean, I can shuffle the Unsharp Mask sliders left and right a bit, but I really have no idea what I’m doing.

When photographers say…
I love the way that you’ve processed your photos.
They actually mean…
I’d love to copy that look – can you tell me how you did it?

When photographers say…
What I try to evoke through my photography is the feeling I experienced at the time of pressing the shutter.
They actually mean…
I see stuff and then take pictures of it.

When photographers say…
I try to capture a fleeting moment in time in my images.
They actually mean…
I see stuff and then take pictures of it. Or rather, I don’t see stuff as I tend to shoot at the fastest frame rate and HOPE I get something.

When photographers say…
I prefer to work in the black and white medium.
They actually mean…
Man, I love the way I can rescue my bad exposures with a black and white conversion. Hopefully my burnt-out highlights and clipped shadows won’t be quite so obvious now .                                   

When photographers say…There are so many alternatives to Photoshop out there!
They actually mean…I can’t afford Photoshop.

When photographers say…
I’m thinking of switching to just shooting primes.
They actually mean…
Serious photographers use primes, right? I definitely want to be one of those.

When photographers say…I’m a reportage-style wedding photographer
They actually mean…Having to herd wedding guests into shape for a formal group portrait – let alone talk to them – absolutely terrifies me. The widest focal length you’ll catch me with at a wedding is the short end of a 70-200mm zoom. And don’t even get me started on off-camera lighting…

When photographers say…(To a model) Just sit/stand how you feel comfortable
They actually mean…Honestly, I really have no clue how to pose you for this picture.

When photographers say…
Honestly, I can do 99% of my work with an f/4 lens – I can’t see any advantage in getting the f/2.8 version.
They actually mean…
I wish I could afford the faster, f/2.8 version.

When photographers say…
I need a faster lens.
They actually mean…
I want a new toy.

When photographers say…What ISO are you on?
They actually mean…
My pictures are coming out blurred – throw me a bone!

When photographers say…
I’ll fix that later.
They actually mean…
I’d rather spend hours touching up this photo than finding a better angle that doesn’t include that barbed-wire fence.

When photographers say…
I try to get everything right in-camera.
They actually mean…
I try to get everything right in-camera, but often fail and have to do a patch-up job in Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment